Brawdy: Church of St David

St David’s Church, Brawdy, may be early medieval in origin. It is situated some 330 metres from a road depicted as Roman on historic Ordnance Survey mapping, and some 1.8 kilometres north-east of the coast. The church lies some 430 metres west-northwest of Brawdy Castle Iron Age promontory fort, which...

Continue reading

Granston: Church of St Catherine

Granston Church stands on a mound veiled by trees, overlooking Granston Farm. The present building dates from 1877, replacing an early medieval church. The original foundations of the church seem to have been retained: a plain edifice of a nave and chancel with a squinch arch – lit from the...

Continue reading

Hayscastle: Church of St Mary

Wherever there is a castle in Wales the church linked to the castle will be dedicated to St Mary. Consequently, it comes as no surprise that the church in Hayscastle is St Mary’s, even if there is very little evidence of the castle still in existence today. Hayscastle Church is...

Continue reading

Jordanston: Church of St Cwrda

The settlement at Jordanston lies on the ridge of land that separates the valley of two streams:  the Cleddau Wen and the upper reaches of the Western Cleddau. The recent discovery of a pair of standing stones near to the church car park is evidence that this was a site...

Continue reading

Llanhywel: Church of St Hywel

A nineteenth-century guidebook describes Llanhywel as a parish ‘pleasantly situated in the north-western part of the county, and nearly in the centre of a peninsula stretching into St George’s channel, and terminating in the promontory called St. David’s Head. The surrounding scenery is pleasing, but not characterized by any peculiarity...

Continue reading

Llanrhian: Church of St Rhian

St Rhian’s Church is situated within a polygonal churchyard, at the centre of what was a farmyard complex. The site is thought to be early medieval in origin. The cruciform church is a Grade II* listed building, constructed from random rubble stone with low-pitched slate eaves roofs. It consists of...

Continue reading

Mathry: Church of the Holy Martyrs

Set on a hill commanding panoramic views of North Pembrokeshire and the coast, Mathry has claims to be one of the oldest settlements in Pembrokeshire. Mathry Church, visible for miles around, lies in the centre of the village. The present church, the fifth to occupy the site, dates from 1869....

Continue reading

Nolton: Church of St Madoc

Nolton is a village and parish on the coast of St Brides Bay, five-and-a-half miles west of Haverfordwest. The name was originally Old-tun and this, together with the dedication of the church to St Madoc, suggests that the place was a pre-existing Welsh settlement appropriated by English immigrants around the...

Continue reading

Roch: Church of St Mary

At the heart of the Village of Roch stands the parish church of St Mary. It was constructed in mid-nineteenth century on the site of an ancient place of worship, below the imposing castle, which was built in the early thirteenth century. The first church on the site was established...

Continue reading

St Lawrence: Church of St Lawrence

St Lawrence is a twelfth-century church nestled on the outside of Welsh Hook near Wolfscastle and Letterston. It has justly been described as ‘a lovely, ancient church in the rural heart of Pembrokeshire’ and as a ‘spiritual place of peace and prayer’. St Lawrence is off the standard tourist trail...

Continue reading